Friday, December 10, 2010

The Ichiban Boshi

Being the conservative foodie and having some level of personal-taste-consciousness, I seldom try-out new places to dine except a tag-along or recommendation by friends or family. Would prefer to stick to the usual fanfare, promising the same winning palatable combination. Japanese food per se, in my own context, should retain some classical taste, simplified, and a hint of revolution. Such invented twist could either make or break a dish, make us bish, perish.

Not to tone down your reliable jap-food-retail-chain endorsements, but I particularly rate one for being consistently yummy. As how the tongue is being liberated again, zestfully coated with the essence of sweet and sour, a date you might not want to let go. Enter the sinful Mentai sauce, luscious avocado spread and the cleansing sukiyaki broth. Enter Zanmai, Sushi. It's a place where I usually treat myself once a while, money's worth.

Up till recent, I was being told that Ichiban Boshi, a new sushi parade located in the depths of Gay-villion, being a hit in Temasek. To 'Sek' (cantonese), I've made a bold move, inviting my bestie's fiancé along who shared equal fondness with Zanmai. Upon entering, we're being greeted by a collection of loudspeakers..lol The lady usher exercised her mastery and landed us just at the right spot, adjacent to the Kaiten belt.

To my horror, the menu was vast enough to compete with my textbook pages, offering not only 1 but 2 separate formality of Japanese cuisine. The flip-over brochure showcases a multitude of colored platings, from cheesy rolls to ham overlays, spiral temaki's and fried tempuras. However, the binded menu caught my attention the most, highlighting the set courses under the Premium and Executive batch. Amazingly, Ichiban Boshi did a better job in mix and match compared to their competitors or even Mcdonald's Happy Meal. You can see how they marry the prerequisites: sakae, adegashi tofu, miso soup, assorted tempuras and chawanmushi together with a main course, in about 16 sets to choose from! The spiced curry page offered 6 variations, the donburi make up about 10, and the sushi caterpillars of 5.

With endless bombardment of choices, I've to send the waiter away first while sipping the hot Ocha. My friend went into blur mode as he wouldn't want to attempt any decision making in the ordering process. Knowing him to be almost neutral even in what to eat, but still having that edge of 'just right' in terms of flavor, texture and oral time (deceptive sordid bastard!), I need to play my cards right and did a 70 to 30 ratio of known and new try-outs.

For the ultimate course, we both got the premium set, mine a BBQ chicken laced with teriyaki sauce, while he got the spring sukiyaki beef roulette as it was his only 'safe' food. Both priced around RM20 each, which was reasonably same with other establishments. Appetizer wise, he kept a watch on the moving belt, while yours truly continuously screened the menu. Discovered that they serve fresh cold lobster sushi platter and chanced it.


Diced mayonnaise lobster with spring onion on top of a tempura cake

The paste was fresh, but didn't really fancy it and the fried dough was a little soggy as with most commercialized food preparation. While chatting and munching away, the customers grew at an alarming rate although it was already 3pm. Most were young adults clad with either hyper brands, semi-harajuku's, dorky frames and post-shopping facial expressions. I wonder if there's any multi correlated factors between the pricing, taste and choices of food that influenced the visiting patrons here. About 15 minutes later, I was a little shocked to see the main dish.



BBQ chicken teriyaki with tofu's 2 way, miso soup, steamed rice and watermelon slices

Ichiban Boshi's generosity got into me *gulp*. A 40 X 30 cm tray furnished with a 20 X 20 cm plate of grilled meat and my favorite vege wrapper (thought of Hakkanese or Korean BBQ way of eating), super-sized bean-curd, a warm cup of miso soup and a basket of steamed rice which looked bottomless from the top -.- Portions too big! My friend's was worst, almost a 3 person steam-boat extravaganza XD minus his favorite Enoki mushrooms.

Although breast fillet was used for the chicken, the achieved smooth texture and succulent teriyaki sauce made it right. Miso soup was just dandy, but it lacked the shiitake's and spring onion like the one served at Zanmai. I was already full half-way through my own ordeal, when my friend signaled me for help. I gave him the 'nono' look while he countered it with the 'you see' look.

K: Aiyo, you see la
Me: Just shove in whatever you can muster -.-
K: I like it la, but how come so big de
Me: Mine also what?
K: I miss Zanmai's nice nice petite de steam-boat
Me: I can't even think of food right now -.-

The sukiyaki broth was good though and the meat slices, almost impeccable :P

Well, the good side of it, you get a plethora of choice at Ichiban Boshi, in XL sizes! (Guess I can bring those not-so-diet-conscious crowd here) A pretty good deal for families and friends who want to share food along the way. Don't expect any Michelin Star standards though and the food is just above so so level. Pricing wise, Zanmai priced slightly cheaper by a few ringgit, and will still be my place of choice :D

Helix

1 comment:

  1. Gosh you've got me salivating for Jap again, and I only had it last night!
    +Ant+

    ReplyDelete